While many people associate chiropractic care as a treatment for bad backs, there is growing documentation that chiropractic is also effective in the treatment of cervicogenic headaches, migraines and cluster headaches.
“Research shows that spinal manipulation is an effective treatment option for headaches,” says Dr. Brenda Rooney of Optimal Family Chiropractic in Mount Olive and a member of the American Chiropractic Association. “Not only does drug-free, conservative chiropractic care provide almost immediate relief from pain, but it has significantly fewer side effects and longer-lasting relief than many commonly prescribed medications.”
Additionally, doctors of chiropractic are trained to recommend therapeutic and rehabilitative exercises, as well as to provide nutritional, dietary and lifestyle counseling—all of which are important components in the management of chronic headache pain.
If you frequently suffer from headaches, Dr. Rooney and ACA recommend the following tips.
- If you spend a large amount of time in one fixed position, such as in front of a computer, take a break and stretch every 30 minutes to one hour.
- Low-impact exercise may help relieve the pain associated with primary headaches.
- Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day to help avoid dehydration, which can lead to headaches.
- Avoid slouching.
- Try a low-fat, high-complex carbohydrate diet. A recent study demonstrated that such a diet can dramatically lower the frequency, intensity, and duration of migraine headaches.
- Reduce stress at home and work by planning ahead and engaging in relaxation and breathing exercises.
- Get plenty of sleep and maintain a regular sleep schedule.
This October, during National Chiropractic Month, talk with a doctor of chiropractic about how you can obtain headache relief through spinal manipulation and chiropractic care. “When it comes to managing headache pain, there’s no magic solution that works for everyone, but chiropractic care is certainly an effective treatment option every patient should keep in mind.” said Dr. Rooney.
Dr. Rooney is working in collaboration with the American Chiropractic Association to observe National Chiropractic Month. For more information on chiropractic or any of the tips mentioned above, contact Optimal Family Chiropractic at (973) 584-4888.